Barcelona at Christmas? It's a fun place to be!
For anyone who's coming to join us (or who is thinking of doing so!), here's an advance on what's on our social programme over Christmas and the New Year…
- Tuesday 13th | Come with us today for a walk round the Raval, the district to the right of the Ramblas as you head down to the port
- Wednesday 14th | A must for art lovers: the MNAC houses "1000 years of art" (and affords a great view of the city from its location on Montjuïc, the hill overlooking the city
- Thursday 15th | The port was one of the areas of Barcelona transformed for the 1992 Olympics. Come with us today for a stroll along the "Moll de la Fusta" [view photos]
- Friday 16th | Our last Friday Club language exchange of 2016: come along, it's always fun!
- Tuesday 20th | The Mansana de la Discòrdia, a single block on the Passeig de Gràcia, one of Barcelona's main thoroughfares, is home to three of its most singular Modernista buildings (only one of them by Gaudí!)
- Wednesday 21st | The Fira de Santa Llúcia is where, traditionally, we buy our Christmas decorations in Barcelona
- Thursday 22nd | Come with us this afternoon for tour of two of Barcelona's amazing food markets
December 26-January 1
- Tuesday 27th | A visit to the artisan fair on in the popular barrio of Gracia
- Wednesday 28th | The city's "Gothic Jewels" — some of its lovely old city churches, including Santa Maria del Mar, the setting for the novel La catedral del Mar (Ildefonso Falcones)
- Thursday 29th | A trip to see the Sagrada Familia and the Christmas fair in the square outside (you might want to book tickets online if you want to go inside, to save yourself the queues!)
- Tuesday 3rd | A walk round the lovely barrio of the Born, about 10-15 walk away from the school
- Wednesday 4th | What do Spanish people do over Christmas and the New Year? Come along with us today and discover some of the traditions.
- Thursday 5th | It's the Three Wise Men (to people in Spain, los Reyes — the Kings), not Father Christmas, that bring presents in Barcelona and they have their own traditional fair in Barcelona, the Feria de Reyes
- Friday 6th | Closed for a national holiday (when traditionally — provided you've been good — the Kings will have left you presents)
Do come with us on the social programme no matter when you come — it's a great way to really get to know Barcelona, with the assistance of an expert guide, and gives you around six hours a week extra practice for your Spanish.
Friday Club will be back January 13th.
Santa Llúcia Christmas fair | Photo: Tom Walton
With it being Christmas on Thursday, it's just a three-day week this week — but we still have a social programme for you as usual:
- Monday 22nd | One of our Christmas traditions in Barcelona is to buy figures to create a Nativity scene at the Santa Llúcia Christmas fair (photo above), which has been held for the last 225 plus years [website]). Come along with us this afternoon to see, and to discover some of our other traditions (16.00).
- Tuesday 23rd | Our trip this afternoon takes us into the bohemian district of Gracia [general information | map]: interesting history, lovely architecture, great bars — and the handcraft fair that is on is possibly also a good place to buy some last-minute Christmas gifts (16.00).
- Wednesday 24th | Come with us this afternoon to the Sagrada Familia, not to see inside but to visit the Christmas fair right outside. Need to do some shopping for presents but not just the usual souvenirs? This is your place (16.00)!
Holidays dates and courses
Note that there's no Friday Club until January 9th and that the school is closed from Thursday 25th to Sunday 28th December, inclusive.
Apart from that, however, we're still open for classes and it's not too late to take advantage of our 3×2 offer on our intensive Spanish courses.
Isabel, who now works mainly in Net Languages on our online Spanish courses, gives us this week's useful Spanish expression.
If you like to subscribe to our YouTube channel, we'll send you another useful Spanish phrase each week…
At IH Spain, we're running a photography competition, with the prize a two-week Spanish course (plus free accommodation and airport transfer) at any one of the seven IH Spain Spanish schools.
All you have to do is take a photo of what you would bring to Spain with you in your suitcase if you won the prize and upload it to the IH Spain Facebook page. Don't forget the suntan oil 😉 !
We have Spanish schools in seven great cities to visit: apart from Barcelona, that's Cadiz, Palma, Madrid, San Sebastian, Seville and Valencia. Picking the nicest is going to be real tough!
20% discount for juniors (aged 13-17) at IH Tarragona
We're currently offering a 20% discount on our summer Spanish course for teenagers which we run on the Costa Dorada at IH Tarragona. Once a major Roman settlement, Tarragona is a seaside town about 100km south of Barcelona.
The programme includes:
- A 2 to 6 week Spanish course in small, international groups
- An entertaining and varied programme of social, cultural and sports activities
- Accommodation in Spanish host families or in a student residence
To benefit from our special offer:
- You must stay a minimum of 2 weeks
- Your stay must include the week starting 4th August
You'll find full information on the programme at IH Tarragona on our website.