Panellets: it must be autumn | Photo: Tom Walton
The last week of October and it's still warm and sunny in Barcelona! Don't forget that Saturday 1st November — All Saint's Day — is a national holiday in Spain.
- Tuesday 28th | Come with us this afternoon for a stroll round the Barrio Gótico, the old part of the city of Barcelona. You could and will go on your own — but come with us and you'll discover a little more. Look out for the panellets in all the baker's shop windows as you wander about (16.00).
- Wednesday 29th | We're going down to the Plaza España this afternoon to visit the CaixaForum, Barcelona's most-visited art museum, and itself a wonderful example of Modernista architecture. Of what's currently on, the Treasures of the Prado exhibition is possibly the most interesting (16.00, entrance €4).
- Thursday 30th | With this year being a very special 300th anniversary, the historic locations of the siege of Barcelona have been marked with information boards as the Ruta 1714 (download map, .pdf). Come with us and see (16.00)!
- Friday 31st | Tonight being Halloween, we have a special Scary Night edition of our popular Friday Club language exchange (in the bar/on the terrace, 19.00-21.00).
- Saturday 1st | National holiday (school closed).
We meet up at the times given above in Spanish Reception (C Floor), unless otherwise stated.
Also this week It's the final of the Catalunya SuperCup on Wednesday, Barça vs Espanyol (kick-off 21.30), with the Barça vs Celta de Vigo league game kicking off on Saturday at 20.00.
Halloween? Already! That's kinda scary!
Apart from the Friday Club, most events on our social programme start at 16.00, to give you time for lunch after class. Note that this Thursday we're meeting at 16.30.
- Tuesday 14th | Our first trip this week takes us into the bohemian district of Gracia [general information | map]: interesting history, lovely architecture, great bars (16.00)!
- Wednesday 15th | First laid out in 1791, the Laberinto de Horta is one of the most romantic of the hidden corners of Barcelona (as well as being one of the settings for Tom Tykwer's 2006 film Perfume: The Story of a Murderer!). Come along and see it with us (16.00).
- Thursday 16th | Everyone who comes to Barcelona goes to see the Sagrada Familia but the city has a number of other lovely churches. Come with us today to see the Joyas del Gótico, the "Gothic jewels" of Barcelona — the Cathedral and the wonderful churches of Santa María del Pí and Santa María del Mar (16.30).
- Friday 17th | We've got a Halloween Party at this week's Friday Club Language Exchange. Yes, we know it's not Halloween for another fortnight but the Friday Club is sometimes just a bit crazy like that 😉 ! In the bar/on the terrace, 19.00-21.00.
Join us in Spanish Reception (C Floor), unless otherwise stated, at the times given above.
Also this week La Liga, Barça vs Eibar (Saturday, kick-off 20.00).
In the maze: come and get lost with us, Wednesday | Photo: Constanze Wutke
As well as what's on our social program this week, don't miss the many (!!!) events of the Mercé (link below), starting Friday.
- Tuesday 16th | Our walk this afternoon takes us to the Manzana de la Discordia, the block on Passeig de Gracia with three of Barcelona's best examples of Modernista architecture — the Casa Batlló (Gaudí); the Casa Amatller (Puig i Cadafalch); and the Casa Lleó i Morera (Domènech i Montaner); as well as to the Casa Milà (also by Gaudí), which is further up the street on the other side (16.00).
- Wednesday 17th | First laid out in 1791, the Laberinto de Horta is one of the most romantic of the hidden corners of Barcelona (as well as being one of the settings for Tom Tykwer's 2006 film Perfume: The Story of a Murderer!). Come along and see it with us (16.00).
- Thursday 18th | Note the change from the usual time today: this evening we're going to the spectacular light and sound show of the Magic Fountains of Montjuic (20.00).
- Friday Club 19th | We've got a special board games edition of our popular Friday Club language exchange this week. In the bar/on the terrace, 19.00-21.00.
Also this week Wednesday, Champions: Barça vs APOEL Nicosia (kick-off 20.45).
Starting Friday and until September 30th, the Mercé, Barcelona's amazing festa major.
We're very sad to have to say "hasta luego" this week to Ana Joven, who's been so brilliant at organising our Friday Club language exchange for the last three years.
Above, there she is as the star in one of the videos on our YouTube Channel.
As we say here in Spain, es un trozo de pan. Literally, that's "she's a piece of bread" (!) with its nearest synonym being something else we would say about Ana: es un encanto de chica — she's such a lovely girl.
Hasta luego, Ana and as they say in Castilla, Que te vaya muy, muy bien.
The Friday Club is on the terrace/in the bar every Friday, from 19.00 to 21.00.
The Palacio Nacional, housing the MNAC's 1000 Years of Art | Photo: Tom Walton
Do join us on the social program: it's a great way to see more of Barcelona…
- Tuesday 20th | Come for a stroll around the Raval, the district on the right of the Ramblas as you head down towards the port — home to the CCCB and the MACBA and Fernando Botero's fat cat, and to the protagonists of many of Barcelona's novelas negras (16.00).
- Wednesday 21st | Our trip this afternoon takes us down to the Plaza España to see the 1000 years of art in the outstanding collection at the MNAC, the Museo Nacional de Arte de Cataluña (photo, above). Note the temporary exhibition of the work of outstanding Barcelona photographer Joan Colom, on only until the end of this week (16.00).
- Thursday 22nd | Although in Roman times Barcelona was far less important than Tarragona, 100km down the coast, the Romans left behind the remains of the city of Barcino that they founded in 15 BC: the Roman Temple and the traces of the Roman walls on top of which the city's medieval walls were largely built are among the things you'll see on our walk this afternoon (16.00).
- Friday 23rd | Come get yourself some extra Spanish practice at our "Movie Night" edition of our popular Friday Club language exchange (in the bar/on the terrace, 19.00-21.00).
Also this week (in Lisbon) | Champions Final, Real Madrid vs Atlético Madrid (Saturday, kick-off 20.45). If Barcelona goes crazy celebrating afterwards, you'll know arch-rivals Real did not win!