Barbara is fed up of eating ham sandwiches every day. Her teacher Xavi suggests some basic vocab to add a little "spice" to breakfast…
- Un bocadillo de jamón (a ham sandwich)
- Un bocadillo de queso (a cheese sandwich)
- Un bocadillo de queso con sobrasada (a cheese sandwich with sobrasada, see below)
- Un bocadillo de tortilla (French omelette)
- Un bocadillo de tortilla de patata (Spanish potato omelette)
- Un bocadillo de chorizo (a cured spicy sausage)
- Un bocadillo de butifarra blanca (a much milder white sausage meat typical of Catalonia)
Sobrasada (which is delicious, though Barbara doesn't fancy it!), is a soft sausage spread, seasoned with paprika, and is typical of Mallorca.
"¿Qué le pongo?" Xavi asks Barbara, pretending to be the camarero (barman): "What can I get you?"
Xavi then asks if she'd like her sandwich made with "pan con tomate" (bread spread with tomato and olive oil, typical of Catalonia). "¡Claro!" (Of course!) Barbara says: once you've tried your bocadillo with pan con tomate, you'll never eat it any other way!