Desconsuelo, statue by Josep Llimona in the Parque de la Ciudadela | Photo: Tom Walton
Our social programme this week. Note that you need to reserve you place for the trip on Wednesday — before 16.00 on Tuesday! Do come along, it's great extra practice for your Spanish.
- Monday 11th | National holiday in Catalonia (and what was all that about?), school closed
- Tuesday 12th | Join us today on our walk round the Barrio Gótico, the old part of the city of Barcelona. You could and will go on your own — but come with us and you'll discover some of the wonderful things to be found there (16.00).
- Wednesday 13th | This afternoon we'll be visiting the Parlament de Catalunya. Ironically housed in what was originally the arsenal of the fortress built to dominate the city after the 1713-14 siege, the building itself is lovely, the visit an interesting one also to discover how the Parlament works. The trip also takes us into the Parque de la Ciudadela, one of Barcelona's nicest parks (16.00).
- Thursday 14th | This afternoon's trip takes us to see some of Picasso's Barcelona: it includes some of the most picturesque of the streets of the Barrio Gótico (Petrixol, Avinyó…); places like the 4 Gats restaurant (a bohemian taberna in Picasso's time); the Estación de Francia (from where he first travelled to Paris at the age of 21); and the Carrer de Montcada, where the Picasso Museum now stands (16.00).
- Friday 15th | Join us on the terrace and in the bar after class today for our very popular Friday Club language exchange (19.00-21.00).
Join us in Spanish Reception (C floor), unless otherwise stated, at the times given above.
Also this week | Champions, Barça vs Juventus (Tuesday, kick-off 21.00).