The prize-winning video of one of Gaudí's most famous Barcelona houses, the Casa Batlló
Here in Barcelona we have another of those crazy weeks with a holiday in the middle of it. But that won't stop social programme ! It's perhaps especially interesting this week if you have an interest in architecture….
- Tuesday 31st | Our walk this afternoon takes us to the Manzana de la Discordia, the block on Passeig de Gracia with three of Barcelona's best examples of Modernista architecture — the Casa Batlló (Gaudí); the Casa Amatller (Puig i Cadafalch); and the Casa Lleó i Morera (Domènech i Montaner); as well as to the Casa Milà (also by Gaudí), which is further up the street on the other side (16.00).
- Wednesday 1st | National holiday in Spain (Día de Todos los Santos), no classes, school closed
- Thursday 2nd | Apart from Sagrada Familia, the city has a number of other lovely churches. Come with us today to see the Joyas del Gótico, the "Gothic jewels" of Barcelona — the Cathedral and the wonderful churches of Santa María del Pí and Santa María del Mar, the latter the subject of a book we always recommend, La Catedral del Mar (16.00).
- Friday 3rd | It's hard to believe, but Via Laietana (just along the road from IH Barcelona) is little more than 100 years old. Driven through the heart of the old city between 1908 and 1913 (in the video, above), it's now one of Barcelona's busiest streets. Come with us and discover more of its history this afternoon (16.00).
- Friday 3rd | Come back to school after our walk and get yourself some extra Spanish practice at our Friday Club language exchange (in the bar/on the terrace, 19.00-21.00).
Join us in Spanish Reception (C floor), unless otherwise stated, at the times given above.
Also this week | Spanish League, Barça vs Seville (Saturday, kick-off 20.45).