If you go down to the park today… Mammoth! Run! | Photo: Tom Walton
- Monday 30th | The barrio of Barceloneta was built on reclaimed land and dates back only to the 18th century but once housed Barcelona's fishermen and then, later, factories. Both are now long gone and have been replaced by a lot of noisy tourists, but the district still retains a peculiar, original flavour (16.00).
- Tuesday 1st| National holiday in Spain
- Wednesday 2nd | Our walk this afternoon takes us to vit the lovely Parque de la Ciudadela (photo, above) built on the site of the fortress built to dominate the city after the siege of 1714, which was demolished in 1868 and then became the site — in 1888 — of Barcelona's first Universal Exposition. If you're interested in architecture, and the history of Barcelona, there are some fascinating things to see on today's trip (16.00).
- Thursday 3rd | The Feria de Abril here in Barcelona isn't quite the spectacular event that it is in Sevilla and Jerez, but come down to the Forum with us this afternoon and we think you'll find the Feria de Abril de Catalunya interesting (16.00).
- Friday 4th | Join us this evening at our Friday Club language exchange. It's a great place to kick off the weekend — and to practise your Spanish !! In the bar/on the terrace, 19.00-21.00.
Join us in Spanish Reception (C floor), unless otherwise stated, at the times given above.
Also this week | In the Spanish League, with Barça newly crowned champions, it's the big one — Barça vs Real Madrid (Sunday, kick-off 20.45). Get yourself a seat in a bar with a large screen (we're assuming that a VIP ticket for the game, from €2,270, is probably a bit steep for you).