The MNAC: an outstanding art collection | Photo: Tom Walton
It's one of those crazy weeks when Spain still thinks it's a good idea to have a holiday on a Thursday so there's no class and no event on our social programme then — but we do have two events for you on Friday.
- Tuesday 4th | We have a trip up to the barrio of Sarrià [map] this afternoon. A separate town until it was incorporated into Barcelona in 1921, Sarrià still feels a little like a small town. Look out for wild boar, stop off at the posh bakers Foix de Sarrià (Plaça de Sarrià 12-13) if you're feeling peckish — or try the world's best ever patatas bravas at Bar Tomás (Major de Sarrià 49). Shame it's rather expensive to find a flat there (16.00) !
- Wednesday 5th | Our trip this afternoon takes us down to the Plaza España to see the 1000 years of art in the outstanding collection at the MNAC, the Museo Nacional de Arte de Cataluña (16.00).
- Thursday 6th | National holiday in Spain for the Día de la Constitución
- Friday 7th | Come with us for a stroll this afternoon to see something of the Ruta del Modernismo. We can't and won't (promise!) take you to see all the 116 Modernista buildings officially included in the Route, but you'll get at least a taste of Barcelona's magnificent architecture. It's Antoni Gaudí that got all the fame and credit for it, but we'll also be telling you about Josep Puig i Cadafalch and Lluís Domènech i Montaner (with an honourable mention for Enric Sagnier (16.00).
- Friday 7th | Come and join us on the terrace/in the bar after class this afternoon for our very popular Friday Club language exchange (19.00-21.00).
Join us in Spanish Reception (C floor), unless otherwise stated, at the times given above.
Note that Saturday is also a holiday (Spain is still different!), this time for the Immaculate Conception, so school will be closed then, too.
Also this week | In the Copa del Rey, it's the return leg of the Barça vs Cultural Leonesa tie (Wednesday, kick-off 21.30, with Barça 1-0 after the first leg); while on Saturday in the Spanish League we have the local derby, Español vs Barça (Saturday, kick-off 20.45).