The social program for this week in Barcelona…
- Tuesday 5th | With Monday this week being a holiday, our "Aperitivo de bienvenida" to welcome all our new students is today, Tuesday, on the terrace at 13.45; afterwards, we'll be going to visit the Casa Batlló (16.00)
- Wednesday 6th | Join us this afternooon on a trip to the Picasso Musuem (16.00)
- Thursday 7th | It's Corpus Cristi and we'll be going to the cathedral this afternoon to see something "typically Spanish" — come along and see (16.00)!
- Friday 8th | Friday Club, further details later this week (19.00-21.00 in the Bar, "D" floor).
- Saturday 9th | We have a day trip to Montserrat and Sitges today (09.00). Further details in reception.
Join us in Reception ("C" floor), unless otherwise stated, at the times given above.
Chiringuitos, Barcelona beach | Photo: Magdalena Urbanska
Every beach in Barcelona has at least two chiringuitos, small beach bars where you can hang out with your mates, having a drink and listening cool vibes.
Is there any better plan for a lazy Sunday afternoon?
>> 30 days, 30 photos of Barcelona #3
Barcelona desde lo alto del Carmelo | Photo: Irene Ucha
Sábado por la noche… En lo alto del Carmelo, bajo mis pies observo una Barcelona que me llama y me invita a mil posibles aventuras (en cada esquina un bar, un concierto, una exposición, un amigo…)
Solo falta decidirme por cual empezar…
>> 30 days, 30 photos of Barcelona #2
Mònica Esquerro | Photo: Tom Walton
Mònica: "Nací en Barcelona y he vivido casi toda mi vida aquí (estuve 2 años en Edimburgo, Escocia).
Trabajo en la recepción de Español y supongo que mi cara es posiblemente la primera que ven muchos de los estudiantes cuando llegan al Departamento."
Idiomas: Catalán, español, algo de italiano, francés e inglés
Aficiones: "Bailarlo todo menos flamenco y viajar donde sea"
This month, Tom will be joining Magdalena Urbanska and Irene Ucha in our "30 days, 30 photos of Barcelona" special – this picture is the first of 30.
The Electric Shoes: by day, the present perfect; by night, the future is rosy | Photo: Fred Anderson
THE ELECTRIC SHOES, a band variously described as indie, punk, pop, new wave, post-punk, alternative and even mod. Gigging regularly in Barcelona, the band have been going for two years now, with an evolving set list of catchy and danceable original songs mixed with hard fast covers of hits that weren't that way originally.
The 'Shoes were founded by Oliver Sutton (singer and guitarist, the bearded bloke pictured above on the left, possibly better known as head of level 10 Proficiency in IH Barcelona's English department) and Carolyn Edwards (drummer, the loon in the middle, also renowned head of IH Barcelona's level 8 CAE preparation course).
2007 has seen their first radio interview, their first review in a national publication and their first inclusion on a compilation CD. Catch them live if you can – they're unprecedented, relentless and fun.
For their next gig, the 'Shoes will be at the Sala Magic, Pg. Picasso (Parque de Ciutadella) on Saturday June 16 at 22:00.
>> The Electric Shoes Website | MySpace