Picnik: Auto-fix your photos, and lots more!
Here's a class project I suggested the other day and which teens loved (thanks, Sandra, for feedback!).
- In class, 15-16 year olds looked at real examples of their Facebook profile pictures, with a view to using Edmodo (not Facebook, which is less private).
- At home, they did a web search for ideas on what makes a good social media profile picture
- In class, they presented their results (some using Prezi to accompany their oral presentation)
- In class, and later at home, they took better profile pictures, which they edited and improved further, using Picnik)
- At home, photos were added to their new Edmodo profiles
It was then Sandra's idea to take the project further:
- In class, her original class presented their web search results and new photos to another class (with another teacher), one two years younger (also using Prezi)
- In class, the older learners helped the younger ones take profile pictures of each other
- At home, the younger learners then uploaded their photos to their Edmodo profiles (and quite a few, apparently, also to Facebook!)
The cameras were compacts belonging to the students, and 5-7 were available, for groups approx. 25 in size.
Technologically, it was real easy for the teacher to set up and run, the kids loved it and they got a lot of language use and learning out of it. Great project!