Possible sources for images:
- Magazines and newspapers
- Draw the image yourself
- If you must use the Internet, the Microsoft site has thousands of useful images on it (though it can sometimes be tricky to download from)
- Clipart is sometimes a good option, apart from anything else as the images are designed to be clear (need pictures of animals…? vegetables…?). Example, above.
- More clipart on Discovery.com…
- Another clipart site that that I can recommend
- Yahoo News, if you are looking for something topical (choose 'News Photos')…
- Google… and most of the other search engines, too (a9.com, Dogpile, Yahoo and Windows Live, for example) — don't just use Google!
Note the two items that I've put first on my list — and which (in)famous name I've put last. You want a good image — don't go to Google-is-Evil: it has zero interest in the quality of the images it steals, and how suitable they are for use in a language class certainly isn't one the criteria it uses.
More on finding and using images from the Internet on our Celta course website.